Global Issues and Challenges in a Changing World. Psychological, Cultural and Group Relationships.
Editors: Rosnah Ismail (Universiti Malaysia Sabah), Ma. Elizabeth J. Macapagal (Ateneo de Manila University), Noraini M. Noor (International Islamic University Malaysia), Jiro Takai (Nagoya University), Taekyun Hur (Korea University).
General Introduction: Rosnah Ismail, Ma. Elizabeth J. Macapagal, Noraini M. Noor, Jiro Takai, Taekyun Hur.
Section 1: History, Political, Global Economies and Religion
- Chapter 1 – The Past, Present and Future of Psychology in Malaysia: Challenges and Directions. Abdul Halim OTHMAN.
- Chapter 2 – Global Economies, Local Identities: Toward a Psychology of Globalization. Fathali M. MOGHADDAN.
- Chapter 3 – Personalizing Politics: Value, Traits and Voting. Gian Viitorio CAPRARA.
- Chapter 4 – Psychology of Human Behavior from Scientific and Religious Persepective. Khalijah Mohd. SALLEH.
Section 2: Socio-cultural Dimensions of Learning
- Chapter 5 – Do Values Mediate Cross-Cultural Differences in Achievement Motivation? The Relationship between Values, Achievement Goals, and Socially-Oriented and Individually-Oriented Achievement Motivations. Arief Darmanegara LIEM.
- Chapter 6 – Globalization: Implications of learning approaches in the Acquisition of English proficiency. Fung Lan YONG.
- Chapter 7 – Challenges for Students and Faculty in Pan-Pacific Interchanges. Rosnah ISMAIL and Beverly B. PALMER.
- Chapter 8 – Teaching Critical Thinking across Cultures: A Study of the University Course Syllabi in New Zealand and Hong Kong. Vivian Miu-Chi LUN, Ronald FISCHER, and Colleen WARD.
- Chapter 9 – Achievement Motivation of At risk Students and Psychological Factors. Habibah ELIAS, Rahil MAHYUDDIN, Maria Chong ABDULLAH, Samsilah ROSLAN, Nooreen NORDIN and Omar FAUZEE.
- Chapter 10 – Relationship between self-concept and academic achievement of fifth year science students in the faculty of Education. Yeo Kee JIAR, Azlina Mohd KOSNIN and Chai Pik YEE.
Section 3: Emerging Identities in Intercultural Contact
- Chapter 11 – Migration and Identity in the Era of Globalization Identity issues for Russian-speaking Immigrants in New Zealand. Elena MAYDELL, March WILSON, and James LIU.
- Chapter 12 – Language maintenance and cultural identities among second-generation Australian immigrants: the mediation by cultural values and practices. Emiko S. KASHIMA, Sylvia COLLINETTI and Kate WILLCOX.
- Chapter 13 – The Effects of Western and Chinese Emotional Intelligence on Taiwanese College Freshman’s Help-Seeking Intentions and Behavior. Chung Kwei WANG and Kuo Ying LO.
- Chapter 14 – The conflict between religiosity and sexual orientation impacting on gay men: a cross-cultural comparison of the ability to be resilient. Nasrudin SUBHI.
- Chapter 15 – Creative Processes of Community Revitalization using a Narrative Approach: A Case Study from Chuetsu earthquake. Takumi MIYAMOTO and Tomohide ATSUMI.
Section 4: Culture, Group and Social Relationships
- Chapter 16 – Kagandahang Loob: Going Beyond Smooth Interpersonal Relationship and Empathy. Ron R. Resurreccion
- Chapter 17 – Spiritual Values among Muslin-Malay Adolescents. Akbar HUSAIN.
- Chapter 18 – Pakikiramdam and Kapwa: Reading Emotion in a Personalistic Culture. M. Cecelia GASTARDO-CONACO.
- Chapter 19 – Vertical individualism / collectivism: The conjuncture of individualism-collectivism and social dominance orientation and its influence on Attitudes toward Chinese immigrants in New Zealand. Chan-Hoong LEONG.
Section 5: Family Relationship and Quality of Life
- Chapter 20 – Parental Overprotection and Psychological Problems among Chronically Ill Children. Azizah OTHMAN and Ashiq Ali SHAH.
- Chapter 21 – The Relationship between Emotional Maturity and Assertiveness to Quality of Life. Seena ABRAHAM.
- Chapter 22 – Adolescent Goal Achievement in the Face of Parental Resistance. May Ana GARO-SANTIAGO and Jan Florence MATURAN-ABUID.
- Chapter 23 – Depression among Women with Breast Cancer. Nasif YUSOFF, Wah Yun LOW and Cheng Har YIP.
- Chapter 24 – Health Care Seeking Behavior by Types of Health Insurance among Rural Ko-Hong Sub-District Population, Thailand. Kanlaya TANSAKUL and Mahmood Nazar MOHAMED.
Section 6: Organizational Technology and Well-Being
- Chapter 25 – Hypocrisy of Japanese Foreign Policy: Honne-Tatemae Dimension of Japan’s Foreign Aid Allocation. Fumitaka FURUOKA, Beatrice Lim Fui YEE and Roslinah MAHMUD.
- Chapter 26 – Designs of social representation and its changes among communities. Hitoshi KOBAYASHI, Tomohide ATSUMI and Chikahiro HANAMURA.
- Chapter 27 – The Reverse-Buffering Role of Perceived Organizational Support between Psychological Contract Breach and Outcomes. Robert L. TANG, Catherine M. DEEON and Simon Lloyd D. RESTUBOG.
- Chapter 28 – Effects of Self-Efficacy and Priming of Strategies on Task Perform. Takashi OGUCHI and Masayuki HARASHIMA.
- Chapter 29 – Scar identity effect nearby a high-tech. NIMBY facility: Conceptualizing resident’s risk perception and negative image. Yi-wen WANG.