Professor Sik Hung Ng
Visiting Professor, Ethnic and Cultural Psychology Research Center (in preparation), Renmin University of China
Sik Hung Ng majored in psychology and sociology at the University of Hong Kong, and pursued further study with Professor Henri Tajfel at Bristol University, where he obtained his PhD in social psychology in 1978.
- Fellow, British Psychological Society (1990)
- Fellow, The Royal Society of New Zealand (1996)
- Fellow, International Association of Language and Social Psychology (2012)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Asian Association of Social Psychology (2013)
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor of Psychology: Otago University (1976-1992)
- Professor of Psychology: Victoria University of Wellington (1992-2003)
- Chair Professor of Social Psychology: City University of Hong Kong (2000-2012)
- Chair Professor of Psychology: Renmin University of China (2014-2017)
Head of Psychology Department, Victoria University of Wellington (1992-1995; 1999-2000)
- Head of Applied Social Studies Department, City University of Hong Kong (2000-2006)
- President, International Association of Language and Social Psychology (2004-2006)
- President, Asian Association of Social Psychology (2007-2009)
- Consultant (part-time), Central Policy Unit, Hong Kong SAR Government (2009, 2010)
- Member, Provisional Minimum Wage Commission, Hong Kong SAR Government (2009-2010)
- Social psychology: Intergroup relations, power, language and communication
- Social and cultural change: Chinese self, bicultural brain, social policy
Allen, M., Ng, S.H., Ikeda, K., Jawan, J.A., Sufi, A.H., Waninara, W., Wilson, M., Yang, K.S. (2007). Two decades of cultural value change and economic development in eight East Asian and Pacific Island nations. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 38, 247-269
Ng, S.H. (1980). The Social Psychology of Power (European Monograph in Social Psychology published in cooperation with the European Association of Experimental Social Psychology by Academic Press, London).
Ng, S.H. & Cram, F. (1988). Intergroup bias by defensive and offensive groups in majority and minority conditions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55, 749-757.
Ng, S.H. (1990). Androcentric coding of man and his in memory by language users. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 26, 455-464.
Ng, S.H. & Bradac, J.J. (1993). Power in Language: Verbal Communication and Social Influence. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
Ng, S.H. (1996). Power: An essay in honour of Henri Tajfel. In W.P. Robinson (Ed.), Social Identity: The Developing legacy of Henri Tajfel (pp. 271-288). Chichester, UK: Wiley.
Ng, S.H., Weatherall, A., Liu, J.H., & Loong, C.S.F. (Eds.) (1998). Ages Ahead: Promoting Inter-generational Relationships. Wellington: Victoria University Press.
Ng, S.H., Candlin, C.N., & Chiu, C.Y. (Eds.) (2004). Language Matters: Communication, Culture and Identity. Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press.
Ng, S.H. (2007). Language-based discrimination: Blatant and subtle forms. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 26, 106-122.
Ng, S.H., Han, S., Mao, L., & Lai, J.C.L. (2010). Dynamic bicultural brains: fMRI study of the flexible neural representation of self and significant others in response to culture primes. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 13, 83-91.
Ng, S.H., Ye, J., & Lee, C.C. (2011). Media discourse on globalization in China: A social-psychological analysis. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 30, 138-157.
Ng, S.H., & Deng, F. (2017). Language and Power. In H. Giles & J. Harwood (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Intergroup Communication. New York: Oxford University Press.
Reid, S.A. & Ng, S.H. (2006). The dynamics of intragroup differentiation in an intergroup social context. Human Communication Research, 32, 504-525.
Sun, J. J-M., Hu, P., & Ng, S. H. (2015). The impact of English on education reforms in China: With special reference to the Learn-English Movement and the internationalisation of universities. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. Online 22 January, 2016. DOI: 10.1080/01434632.2015.1134551
朱滢丶 伍锡洪 (2017)。尋找中国人的自我。北京师范大学出版社。Zhu, Y., & Ng, S. H. (2017). In Search of the Chinese Self. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Press.