Announcement of the AASP Small Group Conference: Australia, 2019
Supported by the Asian Association of Social Psychology (AASP), the 2019 Small Group Conference Serving the Underserved in the Tropics: Making a Difference with Positive Psychology will be held from June 28-29, 2019 at the beautiful Townsville Campus of James Cook University, Australia. You can also join the conference at JCU Cairns campus, Australia or JCU Singapore campus via video conferencing. The Small Group conference is co-hosted by the Department of Psychology, and the AusAsian Mental Health Research Group (AMHRG), JCU. The Organizing Committee cordially invite researchers working in tropical areas in the Asia-Pacific region to attend the meeting.
Primary conference venue: James Cook University, Townsville, Australia
Secondary conference venue: James Cook University, Cairns, Australia and James Cook University, Singapore via video conferencing
Serving the Underserved in the Tropics: Making a Difference with Positive Psychology
• Mental health and psychological wellbeing in the tropics
• Prejudice, discrimination and structural inequality
• Individual and community resilience
June 28-29, 2019
Registration: 7:30am-9am, 28 June, 2019
- 9:00am-9:30am: Welcome to the Country and Welcome speech
- 9:30am-10:30am: Keynote speech by Prof Darrin Hodgetts: 'Researching poverty amidst an affluent society - The importance of immersion and substantive knowledge for social change
- 10:30am-11:00am: Morning tea and networking
- 11:00am-1pm: Presentations
- 1pm-2pm: Lunch and networking
- 2pm-3pm: Keynote speech by Prof Annalakshmi Narayanan: Predictors of resilience among adolescents of low socio economic status in India
- 3pm-4pm: presentations
- 4pm-4:30pm: Afternoon tea and networking
- 4:30pm-5:30pm: Presentations
- 5:30pm-5:40pm: Wrap up of the day
- 9:00am-12:00pm: Community Wellbeing Matters – the 2nd Townsville Intercultural Conversation, a community grassroots initiative collectively hosted by the Townsville Chinese Club, North Queensland Hindi Community, Townsville Pasifika Community, Townsville Aboriginal and Islanders Health Services and Townsville Islamic Society. The three keynote speakers will be invited as discussants in the forum.
- 12pm-1pm: Lunch and networking
- 1pm-2pm: Keynote speech (TBA)
- 2pm-3pm: Presentations
- 3pm-3:30pm: Afternoon tea and networking
- 3:30pm-5pm: Presentations
- 5pm-5:30pm: Wrap up of the Small Group conference
Abstract submission guideline:
Please email your abstract to: AASP-JCU2019@jcu.edu.au
- No registration fees for AASP members and JCU Psychology students.
- Registration fees for non-AASP members and non-JCU Psychology students: AU$30
- Participants will be provided with lunches and morning and afternoon teas during the conference without extra charges.
- A free electronic version of the Abstract Book will be provided on the conference website.
- Participants will need to pay their own transportation fees to and from the conference venue, accommodation and breakfasts and dinners during the conference.
Best Student Paper Award – full paper submission is required for the eligibility for the award:
- 1st Prize: AU$300
- 2nd prize: AU$200
- 3rd Prize: AU$100
- October 15, 2018: First Announcement (Call for Papers)
- October 15, 2018: Abstract submission starts
- January 15, 2019: Deadline for abstracts accepted
- January 20, 2019: Conference Academic Committee review abstracts.
- March 1, 2019: Second Announcement (Abstract acceptance notification)
- March 1, 2019: Registration starts
- May 1-20, 2019: Full papers submission for best student paper selection
- June 1, 2019: Third (final) Announcement (Including PPT submission guideline, transportation and accommodation information).
Please contact us at: AASP-JCU2019@jcu.edu.au
The Chair of the Organizing Committee (and the Convener of AMHRG) Dr Wendy Li will be happy to field inquiries and engage in dialogue to shape Small Group Conference as an exciting event for researchers to share their insights into serving the underserved in the tropics.
We look forward to your participation!